Cooking meals at home that all the family will enjoy is challenging, especially when following a nutrition plan like the Keto diet. But challenges accepted often turn into great successes, and that is why I am here to help you prepare delicious keto family meals to enjoy with your loved ones. Once you get into the habit of fixing these flavoured recipes, you will see everybody at the table emptying their plates. Here is an example of low-carb family meals to keep you healthy and satisfied.
Low-carb family meals
Keto family meals for breakfast – keep it simple, nourishing and veggie-flavoured
We all know that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. To make sure you provide your family with the energy everyone needs to handle a busy day, try a quick omelette that even your children will enjoy.
1 tbsp of water
1 pinch of salt and pepper
1 cup of spinach (optional)
1 tsp of butter or coconut oil
- Mix the eggs with the water, salt and pepper
- Put the butter or the coconut oil into a pan and leave it for a few minutes until it melts.
- Add the mix of eggs, water, salt and pepper, and cook it for one minute before adding the cup of spinach.
- Continue cooking for another minute or until you can flip the omelette in half.
Your children will surely love this simple and tasteful breakfast.
Tip: don’t add spinach if your children don’t like it yet.
This omelette gives you the protein, veggies and healthy fats your body needs to prepare for a new day!
Lunch – a single meal with customisation to your heart’s desire
One common complaint of those enrolled in any healthy nutrition programme is eating the same dish too many times a week. At a glance, that might also be the case with this keto family meal that I recommend as lunch for the five working days of the week: nourishing bowl, also known as power bowl or macro bowl is a great low-carb family meal. You will see that the customisation of the ingredients in this dish makes all the difference. And all the difference in taste, of course. You build your bowl with your favourite (and allowed in the Keto diet) selection of veggies, protein and healthy fats.
So let’s see how to cook this meal loaded with vitamin B9 (or folate), carotenoids (those amazing compounds that act as antioxidants in our bodies), vitamins C and K, and beneficial and needed minerals like Iron and Calcium.
What you need:
1-2 cups of salad greens from the ‘Your Guide to Keto-Friendly Vegetables’ and herbs of your choice.
The salad greens you choose, whether it’s kale, lettuce, or spinach, will change the taste of your nourishing bowl, and that’s what makes this meal so diverse and ready to be eaten not just once but five times a week.
The same goes for the variety of veggies you opt to add to your bowl – 100g of mixes made of any veggies such as:
- brussels sprout
- other prepped and chopped veggies from ‘Your Guide to Keto-Friendly Vegetables’
You can store these veggies safely into your refrigerator to create a different-flavoured lunch every day.
The protein for your nourishing bowl can be ONE of the following:
- 2 free-range eggs (soft-boiled or hard-boiled according to your preference)
- 80g of roasted meat (chicken, turkey, duck, beef or lamb)
As for healthy fats, this low carb family meal enables you to choose your favourite ingredients: avocado, nuts or seeds alongside Ceres Paleo Savoury Mix.
Your nourishing bowl needs only three more “fixes”:
- herbs of choice
- a favourite fermented veggie (such as sugar-free gherkins or sauerkraut)
- a dressing – your own or one of ours
How to prepare a nourishing bowl:
- Grill or roast your selection of veggies, or add them raw if you prefer.
- Place them all in a serving bowl.
- Add the eggs or the roasted meat you have chosen.
- Top with your favourite health fat and voilà! Your balanced and nourishing keto family meal is ready to be served alongside gherkins or sauerkraut and a keto dressing.
Dinner – choose a recipe that will make your family’s taste buds sing
A delicious low carb family meal, lemon & herb chicken breast with sautéed greens will surely delight your family and guests.
What you need:
200g raw chicken breasts
1/3 cup of olive oil
1/2 zest of a lemon
1 garlic clove, peeled & chopped finely
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely
250g broccolini or broccoli
250g green beans
1 tbsp of coconut oil
2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
Extra lemon for serving
How to prepare it:
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, zest in a large bowl alongside the chopped garlic and parsley and one teaspoon of salt.
- Put the chicken breasts into the bowl and massage the marinade into them. Let the breasts marinate for 30 minutes (or overnight if you prepare the dinner for the next day)
- Place a frying pan on the cooktop over medium heat and add the chicken marinade mix. Cook the chicken for roughly 7-10 minutes on each side.
- In another large frying pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat, add the broccoli or broccolini and the green beans.
- Season with the remaining sea salt and pepper, cook for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are tender but not soft.
- Serve one chicken breast on a plate with half the green vegetables and a wedge of lemon. Enjoy as soon as it’s ready.
Tip: you can switch out with your favourite in-season vegetables (check the list in ‘Your Guide to Keto-Friendly Vegetables’).
A healthy and light dinner, lemon & herb chicken breast with sautéed greens is an intense flavour meal that you might want to try for more than just one evening a week!
I hope you enjoyed this selection of keto family meals. Check out more healthy and delicious recipes low-carb family meals on my website.